The next day Bella went to my
local vet's office to have an ultrasound which
luckily showed one single Extra Hepatic Shunt. We reviewed options to where to go for the surgery
as we knew it was needed ASAP... Bella was placed on a low protein diet and Lactulose but still having
an occasional episode. We were given the name of Cape Cod Veterinary Specialist in Buzzards Bay, MA.
I brought Bella there and was seen by Dr. Faulkner Besancon; who not only specialized in the surgery using
the Ameroid Constrictor, but also was very familiar with anesthesia on small animals. I felt very comfortable
with him. Because she was having seizures he put her on Potassium Bromide and scheduled surgery
for a few weeks so he could get the seizures under control and he also wanted her to gain a bit
of weight and get her ALT level down with an antibiotic. With the seizures completely stopped and
her tiny body with a little more weight on Bella went into surgery on 2/15/06. We bit our nails until
we received the call that she was out and the surgery at this point was a success.
We visited her daily...it was about a 45 minute drive and my husband who works on the Cape
also stopped almost daily to see her before heading home. We have fostered for years and it's hard
not to get attached to any of the dogs that come through the doors and Bella was no exception.
Her whimpering broke our hearts... her incision so severe...the tubes and e-collar all bigger than she was.
All we wanted is for her to make it and survive and run and play. When we picked her up and brought
her home she was immediately greeted by the other pups in the house. They seemed to know she needed
attention and wagged their tails and kissed her. She perked up and I could see she wanted nothing more than
to be with them and play. It was a relief to see her with so much spunk...sadly she still had to be kept
quiet for a couple weeks. In the days that passed her e-collar was removed, the Potassium Bromide was
stopped and the staples came out. She was starting to blossom and run with the other Yorkies.
We knew she was doing so well and that soon
she would have her Bile Acids retested. If all went
well she would be able to be adopted as all the other rescued pups have done in the past. Neither my
husband or I ever talked to each other about possibly keeping her. After weeks turned into months of
her being here SHE certainly thought she was staying and our pups were loving the puppy attitude she had
brought back from after her surgery! She pretty much had taken over....snuggling in next to the old one,
stealing the toy from the bratty one and getting the lazy one to play. Yes we hadn't told her she would have
to look for another place to rule. And after a long talk across the table from each other discussing who
we would trust and how we could possibly place her in a strangers car and watch her drive away...
With tears flowing just thinking about it we
decided we just couldn't do it...."Bella" would become
a name I had picked long ago and saved for my very first girl furbaby, and stay where we felt she belonged....
Since Bella's/Paisley's surgery her Bile Acids have been retested and they have returned
to the normal range and she continues to do well
"Fate brought her here to us; Here to stay! ... Our sweet little Liver Shunt girl."
Do not take any portion of this web page without permission!